Sustainability for the Bakery
With an ever changing world we live in, we have continued to look at how we play a part in tomorrow and those to come after us. We have been striving to incorporate sustainability into our business through internal and external efforts. As of September 2022, every product in the bakery is now made with 100% organic, locally grown & milled flour. We no longer have far transported 'white flour'. Specifically we have incorporated some of the following Green efforts, policies and practices as well:
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Purchase economical and environmentally friendly products
- Conserve energy, water, and natural resources
- Practice Green Business Policies we are enabled to-do
- Continue to compost any and all food waste. Currently we are able to save six to eight 5-gallon buckets worth of food scraps for composting/animal feed a week.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Increase waste diversion by recycling all paper & plastic products we can.
- Compost all food-waste, and/or feed to local farm animals
- Train ourselves to reduce to-go packaging
- Use our energy the best way possible in terms of batch sizes
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Energy star appliance/equipment
- Energy saving bulbs
- Recyclable or compostable products
- Packaging which is made of recycled material
- Products with the least amount of packaging
- Local when feasible and economical
- By 2026 we are planning on installing solar panels on the roof of our downtown location to offset at least 50% of our energy usage through ovens and lighting. Currently we are working with Consumers Energy to play a part in the Solar Gardens Program.
- 100% Organic, Regionally grown grains in all products.
- Currently since the start of the bakery, all our cookies and cakes contain 100% Fresh Milled, Regionally grown grains.
- Our goal by the end of 2021 is all loaves of bread to be of at least 25% Fresh Milled, Regionally grown grains.
- By the end of 2023 to have all products in the bakery a minimum of 60% Fresh Milled, Regionally grown grains.
- We have purchased and paid for a large, hand-made, stone mill to help us reach our goals for the immediate future, we hope to remove grains not grown within 400 miles of the bakery from our products to reduce our footprint.
- We have now achieved this goal, and as of September 2022, all of our baked goods are using 100% organic, locally grown flour.
What can you do?
- If you do not need a bag for your order, Please let us know. If we can further reduce packaging of your goods, please don't hesitate to ask us.
- Compost or recycle our containers and/or bags.
- Bring your own bag for bread/pastries.